Instant Pot Rendang
Traditional rendangs are labors of love. They’re simmered on the stovetop for hours on end, cooked until the spiced sauce turns jammy and the meat magnificently gelatinous. Our rendang kit takes all the love and luxury of classic rendangs, and repurpose it for convenience—a simple sauté, a languid simmer and a few stirs is all that’s needed. For the ultimate convenience, you can do this all in an Instant Pot.
Speaking of convenience, this recipe doubles well. Rendang keeps in the fridge for several days, so we recommend doubling this recipe and using both the kits that come in the pouch.
Don’t have an Instant Pot? Click here for our regular Rendang recipe.
Instant Pot Rendang
- 1 Homiah Indonesian Rendang Spice Kit (1 pack has 2 kits) - Note: this recipe doubles well
- 1 lb boneless beef short ribs or brisket, cubed into 1.5 inches
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- Optional: 4 tbsp desiccated coconut (to make "kerisik")
- Optional: 2-3 makrut lime leaves
- Turn on the Instant Pot and set it to the Sauté function on high. Pour the Homiah Indonesian Rendang Kit into the Instant Pot, add in the cubes of beef, and sauté for 5 minutes or until the beef cubes are lightly browned.
- Pour the coconut milk into the pot, stir well, then set it to the High Pressure Cook function for 35 minutes (making sure the valve is sealed), followed by 5 minutes of natural release.
- (Optional: Home-made kerisik or toasted dessicated coconut) If you choose to make "kerisik", toast the desiccated coconut in a pan set over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes until golden brown, then pound in a pestle and mortar or blend in a hand blender until it turns into a grainy paste. Set aside until the cook time is complete.
- Vent the Instant Pot. (Optional: Reducing the sauce) If the Rendang looks watery, remove the meat with a slotted spoon and set aside, then change Instant Pot function to "Simmer" for 10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced to the desired amount. Reincorporate the meat back into the instant pot.
- Add in the optional kerisik and sliced lime leaves, mix well, and serve!
- The rendang is best served with rice or any grain of your choice. It keeps well for 4-5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.